NOTE FOR CONSUMERS: Consumer complaints can be directed to the Estate Agency Affairs Board www.eaab.org.za and for Rental enquiries please contact the Rental Housing Tribunal in your area.
IEASA Procedure for Dealing with Ethical Complaints
As a professional voluntary body, the Institute’s Ethical Standards Committee has jurisdiction only in matters concerning members of the Institute. The following Ethical Complaint Procedure has been formulated with a view to reducing the time frame for a case to be heard.
Before the institute can become involved in a dispute:
• the parties must be members of the Institute and must agree to abide by the findings of the Institute’s Ethical Panel appointed to hear the case.
• the relevant complaint is to be completed by someone who has the capacity to bind the Company or Individual to the finding of the Institute’s Panel.
• proof of an attempt to resolve the matter on a Principal to Principal level must be submitted.
The Complainant must:
• obtain the relevant Complaint Form from the Institute;
• complete it and send it to the Institute by prepaid registered post/hand delivered to
• all relevant material in affidavit form (certified);
• a R1 000-00 refundable deposit;
• copy of material and relevant complaint form must simultaneously be sent by the complainant directly to the Respondent by prepaid registered post or hand delivered.
The Respondent must:
• respond to the complaint within ten (10) days;
• complete the Relevant Form and send it to the Institute and include the Reply Affidavit Form;
• send copies of these documents directly to the Complainant by prepaid registered post or hand delivery.
• pay a R1 000-00 refundable deposit to the Institute.
The Complainant has a right of reply and must:
• respond to the Respondent’s affidavit within ten (10) days;
• reply to be in affidavit form to the Institute by prepaid registered post/hand delivered;
• a request for a hearing date;
• send copies of these documents directly to the Respondent by prepaid registered post or hand delivery.